Thursday, May 13, 2010

How to start scrapbooking...

One reason I didn't start to scrapbook before I did was because I had this idea that scrapbooking was too expensive.  Granted, if you don't make smart purchases and limit your scrap collecting, it can get out of hand. 

Many mixed opinions are out there about what tools and supplies are actually needed to get your scrap on.  When my friend, Candace, and I decided on a whim to start scrapbooking, we went to Hobby Lobby when they had one of their famous 50% off sales and split a lot of supplies to save on cost. 

Here is a list of what supplies I have found I
cannot (well, actually I really could if I tried hard)
scrap without (I'm adding links of examples):

1. Paper trimmer - I've tried several different kinds & still haven't found one I'm 100% happy with

2. Good, double-sided adhesive - i used photo tabs at first, then double-sided tape, and now have the red ATG framing tape gun (probably the best scrappy purchase I've made besides a trimmer & I use generic tape...it costs more in the beginning but saves in the long run)

3. 3-4 Neutral colors of cardstock - I have more, but find I most often use kraft, white, black (& cream)

4. 1 or 2 Good quality paper collection packs that you absolutely LOVE - don't buy paper only b/c it's cheap....you'll kick yourself later & in the end be much more pleased overall by using what you love  (wonderful examples are basic grey, october afternoon, cosmo cricket, k & company, & my mind's eye)

5. self-healing mat like the magnetic mat by basic grey (or a sewing one would work well)

6. craft or exacto knife - like Fiskars softgrip

7. small, sharp scissors for detailed cutting or trimming

8. alphabet - either stamps, chipboard letters (Thickers), or alphabet stickers in white, brown, black to start

9. a neutral ink pad (black or brown maybe...I'd avoid pigment at first, b/c it takes forever to dry) - I love my colorbox cateye ink stack in chocolate and blueberries

10. neutral set of stamps that you LOVE - think journaling blocks, alphas, flowers, butterflies, or flourishes (if you buy acrylic, you can use a cd case to put them on to stamp at the beginning)

11.  neutral (notice the theme here?) ribbon - think black, brown, white, cream, pink in solids or with polk-a-dots in white or something....I find these are the ones I reach for the most, even with tons of other ribbon

12. paper piercer - you can use other things or scissors for this, but it works great for adding brads

13. stapler with longer reach base (think office stapler) - to attach ribbon, papers, etc.

14. brads - metal, brushed nickel, white, etc - great for holding stuff down, using as center for flowers, etc.

15. maybe 2 pairs of deco scissors (think scalloped/pinking shears) or a simple scalloped punch like Fiskars threading water/apron lace/scallop punches

16. Archival quality journaling pens in black, brown, white (I have others, but use basically only use these)

17. Glossy Accents - great for adhering almost anything

18. Album - most scrapbooks are 12x12, 8 1/2x11, and 8x8...I prefer 12x12 & have used K & Co post bound albums as well as Making Memories & American Crafts D-ring albums...THIS thread at 2peas might help you in deciding what type of album to choose.

I'm stopping the list with those items. Clearly, a million other products are out there, but these are some I find I use practically every. single. time. I scrapbook.  Here are a few tips about what NOT to do:

**DO NOT buy a bag of paper scraps or cardstock scraps. EVER.
**DO NOT buy something just because it's on sale.  MAKE SURE you really like it AND will USE it.
**DO NOT be afraid to use your "good stuff."  Still working on this myself, but I've almost recovered. ;)
**DO NOT go crazy at the dollar spot (i.e., Target or any other store).
**DO NOT be afraid to journal in your OWN HANDWRITING. Even if it's bad, your family will treasure it some day. Seriously.
**DO have fun and realize that you are making these albums for you and your family, not for a design team. 
**DO journal your story, try to remember dates, and add details to your pages for future generations.

Also, HERE is a link to a post on a popular scrapbooking message board where people gave examples of the minimum scrapbooking supplies they could not live without.

And....
since I think blog posts without some sort of pics are useless,
here's a sneaky at a junkin' find I'll be showing you soon!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

When I started scrapbooking, I had a paper template with basic shapes, scissors, zigzag scissors (for sewing), glue sticks, markers, neon colour cardstock (it was the only colour I found and I had to go out of town to get it, a letter stencil from my old school days, and pictures.
Now I have my own little room that is bursting at the seams. LOL.
My SIL and I share supplies. We also went halfers on the baby cricut when it first came out.

Born2scrap said...

i am LMAO about your "do nots" cuz you nailed them! sale stuff and $1 are my weaknesses, along with those "had to have" $1 stamps at michaels.

i tell new scrappers to start small; go project to project, keeping an eye on what they use. i also encourage them to experiement with adhesives to find the one that works for them (some like dry, some like wet adhesives kwim?).

a good paper trimmer is a MUST and have yet to find the perfect one for me. i have several, and currently looking for a new one. i currently have the red fiskars and the numbers are wearing off AGAIN!

a good pair of fine tip scissors and tweezers are a MUST also!

great tips, Abby!!