Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Handmade Shabby Chic Flowers

Handmade flowers, and those made by popular scrapbook companies like THESE by Prima, have become very popular.  Since buying more than a few of them would probably set me back a small fortune, I was inspired to make something similar myself and used supplies I had on hand. 

 Supplies needed:
 Glimmer Mist (I used Patina)
permanent adhesive runner
sturdy paper or cardstock
scissors
light colored ribbon
tissue paper
aluminum foil

To start, cut a circle out of the cardstock slightly bigger than you would like your flower to be.  You can free-hand them, since they don't have to be perfect.  Next, cut your tissue paper into 2 or 3 long strips.  I did mine about 1 1/2 inches the first time and 2 1/2 inches the second.  The wider your tissue paper, the more depth to your flowers (so if you plan to scrapbook with them & don't care for a lot of bulk, go skinny with them).  Apply adhesive all over your circle.

Twist your tissue paper until it looks like this and adhere it to the center of the flower.

Continue to twist and stick, twist and stick all the way around the circle.  If you run out of tissue paper before you are finished, continue with a new piece where you left off making sure to hide any edges if you can.

Use your thumb to flatten out the flower & help the tissue paper to stick.

When you have the size flower you desire, tightly wind the end of the tissue paper and slightly tuck it under the outside edge of flower between the flower and cardstock.  Cut around the flower to remove the excess cardstock. 

Position your flower on your foil and spray with glimmer mist about 3 times or so.  If you desire a darker shade, allow your flower to dry more and respray.  If you saturate it too much, it will want to unwind.

I chose sheer ribbon for this next step, but any light color would work.  Simply wad up your ribbon and dip and smear it into the glimmer mist.  Fold your foil over and seal off the edges so none of the mist leaks out.

Wad the foil up with the ribbon inside and set aside for a bit.  When you remove it, it may still be a bit damp.  If you want it to stay a bit crinkled, open it up and leave it alone until it dries.

After using the satin ribbon on my Seattle layout, I decided to pick up a couple more spools at Michael's (aka Mike's) 50% off sale on Sunday.  The color of the ribbon inspired me to create some matching embellishments.

So what do you think? Kinda spiffy, huh? I can't wait to create another page with them, hopefully for that vacation album!

8 comments:

Jingle said...

Those came out nice!

Scrappy Girl said...

I love love love those! How beautiful!

Tracy said...

These are so neat. I love to make my own embellishments. These are ones I am going to have to try.

Thanks for sharing.

Scrapbook Obsession said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, Abby! You made some fabulous embellishments :)
~Erika

Keshet said...

What a cool idea! I'm so glad I found your blog--thanks for leaving a message on mine!

GLOANN said...

Love these flowers.Tissue paper I have plenty of. Will have to find me some of that Glimmer Mist. The only color I have is sort of a metallic green. But I'm going to go ahead and make some of the flowers and have them ready for the misting process. Thanks.

Melissa said...

These flowers are awesome!

Anonymous said...

They turned out great!! I'll take 5! ;)