Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sew Crazy

My poor sewing machine has been stored away in my paper trunk for some time now, since I don't have a good place to leave it out.  One of my sweet scrappy friends (who sends me scrappy goodies from across the country all the time) recently had a birthday, and I whipped out my sewing machine to create this lovely bag for her:
What do you think of my fancy display hanger? Shwanky huh? I was super impressed with the way the bag turned out, especially since I'd never sewn a ruffle on anything like this before.  I have a pink and brown one in the works for myself soon.  :0)
While I have had my sewing machine out, I've used it on every single sewing and scrapbooking project.  For this card, I used it alongside my Epic 6 machine and two of my Cuttlebug dies from Big Lots (only $2 each).  I made the banner with the "harlequin arlequin" die above and embossed with the "with gratitude" folder.  I'm kicking myself for not picking up more of the dies when they had them...I was hoping for the butterfly, houndsooth, and funky circles ones.
Lastly, I made these ribbon and crepe paper ruffles for my friend since she's a no-sew-Suzy.  Love how they turned out and plan to make some for myself next.  Btw...recognize that turquoise ribbon?  It's the color inspiration I used here.

15 comments:

Shell said...

it is amazing what Big Lots has had lately... I noticed the other day they now have the Mickey Cricut cartridge for $30!

Get the Picture by Kathy said...

These are great - you need to submit something to the Scrap Our Stash Challenge. The challenge this month is stitching!

http://scrapourstash.blogspot.com

Sunshine and Shadows said...

I love the bag - very nice! I also love your card and your paper ruffles.

Sasha "sweet thang" Holloway said...

I LOVE IT .. I love love the ribbon and crepe paper ruffles so much .. I wish I could sew I think I would sew my lips shut if I did .. LOL that is just how much stuff I would be sewing

Tracy said...

I really love your tote. I have a few totes and purses I want to sew, but I need to get my machine back on the desk and just get to work.
Love your card. Boohoo, we don't have a BigLots here.

Melissa said...

Love the card and paper ruffles! Cute bag too!

Deborah said...

I LOVE the ruffles in the ribbon...I WISH I knew how to sew. I just hand sew if I want it on my layouts!

KB said...

So CUTE! I so love ribbon!

DtsArt said...

great bag.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the bag turned out great! and the ruffles - pure scrappy sweetness! I need to try that.

Hope you're well!!
xoxo
Chris

GLOANN said...

You're doing great with those ruffles. Love them. And your "friend's" bag is so pretty.

Kelli said...

Love the bag Abby!!

Mary Hamer said...

Love your butterfly tutorial. Never thought of using my ATG - may have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing!

Diane@InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Abby -
I love the ruffled ribbons you made. I was just thinking yesterday that I wanted to add something to the bottom of my lampshades to lenghten them a bit and that would be easy and inexpensive. These would be perfect. thank you, thank you for providing the inspiration I needed.
My best- Diane

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, I'm the lucky recipient of the bag and the paper ruffles :) I love everything Abby made SO much! Thank you, thank you! You're a major talent with that sewing machine, girl.

I'm so lucky to have you as my friend :)

{{Hugs}}
~Erika